Monday, June 18, 2012

School Carnival - Where are the Women?

My kids had their school carnival a couple weeks ago. They advertised "The return of the ever-popular teacher dunk tank!" I was excited, but I had learned to not get my hopes up. I knew it would turn out to be just the male teachers up there.

As we got there, got a program/map, and looked at the dunk tank schedule, sure enough, only male teachers were on the schedule and some random unnamed high school students that were volunteering. The kids' school is probably about 90% female teachers. The figures of the ratio alone would give most people hope, but I knew better. There are some REALLY attractive female teachers there too. But all are too prissy to get in the dunk tank.  Not sure what it is. Where is the fun.

Out of the HS students that were getting dunked, there was one really attractive high school girl that was sitting up there.  She was cute, nervous, cold, and got dunked quite a bit.  It was a great show, but I was still disappointed that the female teachers wouldn't do it.

What gives here? When I was growing up, EVERY dunking machine (yes, we called them DUNKING MACHINES, not dunk tanks or even dunking booths) at every town carnival had girls sitting in them. I'll bet from about age 4 until my freshman year of college I had only seen about 4 males getting dunked ever.  It was always cheerleaders running them, or gymnastics teams, or dance teams, or if the local Rotary or Lions club sponsored one, the daughters/granddaughters of the members were the ones they had sitting up there.  I know old traveling carnivals had a "Dunk the Girl" booth where a few girls traveled along and that was their summer (or longer) job... to get dunked.

I think the respect women movement has taken things a bit too far that anything may be deemed "embarrassing" is not something a woman should do, so let the man be the buffoon now. But come on teachers, your kids would LOVE to dunk you!! It's for the KIDS!!!  Oh, wait, some teachers are not about the kids now.... I forgot.

Oh well, whatever. I still get to see my wife in a dunk tank every summer several times and she enjoys it. At least I am lucky enough to be with someone who can still have a little embarrassing fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment