Thursday, November 1, 2012

Ah, the memories.

As I sit here and the weather gets colder, dunk tank season has definitely gone into hibernation. I have next Spring and Summer to look forward to. Seven months will go by quickly, won't it?

We are definitely having a dunk tank at VBS again. I think after the success of the last two years, it will be there now and forever. And that means my wife will be getting dunked again.... a lot. Over the years, she has gotten dunked a lot. She is a great sport about it. As I sit here, I am watching old videos of her being dunked over and over again at different events. It's kind of fun to see her over the years and how her personality responds to the inevitable soakings that will come. She is ALWAYS nervous, but does a great job.

She obviously knows about my obsession with dunk tanks and she plays it up as much as she can. We have talked about it a lot. She knows how I like her to act, how to sit, what to wear, etc. She has been in dunk tanks at several different carnivals, even though she feels uncomfortable at some when she is just a "random" person that has nothing to do with the organization running the tank offering to sit in it. She has never gone up to a dunk tank operator and asked to sit in the tank, every one has been planned with some contact made prior to.

We were talking the other day and I told her how much I loved seeing her sit in one at carnivals. Definitely my favorite because of the number of people that are around. She said, "Is it because I sit up there longer?" I thought for a second... you know, that might be part of it. At VBS, set up/after hours she'll sit up there in a predetermined outfit and me and the kids each get to dunk her two or three times. That lasts maybe 10 minutes. Every carnival where she has been in the tank, she has had a half hour shift. She's partially right. I like her up there a long time. She gets colder at the end of the shift.

At a carnival, throwers have a finite number of balls. On our own, we just keep throwing until we hit the target. Where is the suspense in that? I think next year we will set a time limit and everyone only gets 3 balls at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment